Friday, August 1, 2008

Reason 762 that Obama is not the 2nd coming

This video is circulating around the internets today because it shows Obama being heckled by protesters. But what I find intriguing here is how poorly Obama speaks while answering the question one of them posed to him. President Bush couldn't stutter like that once without being labeled a terrible speaker, and therefore stupid, incompetent, etc. Imagine if he flailed around for 4 straight and extremely painful minutes like Obama does in the video.

I'm not really interested in defending the President's speaking skills, because by most measures they are pretty bad. I don't even blame Obama for getting flustered. But I do think this should be a reality check for those who remain convinced that Obama is a master of public speaking.

1 comment:

dcporter said...

So I have a fairly strong record of Obama skepticism (which you can see if you look through the Lib blog), but I actually don't think he comes off as inarticulate at all. The times when he's stuttering are, if you look at the video, are times when the questioner is trying to talk at the same time as him, we can't hear the questioner because he has no microphone, but I'm guessing that Obama can. Anyhow, I think anyone making even the slightest effort to be fair wouldn't think that Obama has public speaking problems. The same cannot be said about Bush.

What was problematic, however, was how eager the crowd of Obama-nuts seemed to be to shut down the questioner for daring to doubt Obama's perfectness. That is a problem.